Chiropractic rehabilitation plus nighttime bracing for progressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a case-controlled series

  • Mark Morningstar | drmorningstar@nwprc.com Natural Wellness and Pain Relief Center, Grand Blanc, MI, United States.
  • Dan Oslin Oakland Orthopedic Appliances, Bay City, MI, United States.

Abstract

Non-operative treatments for scoliosis include various types of scoliosis-specific exercise therapies, as well as dynamic and rigid spinal orthoses. Although there are many studies evaluating various types of bracing-only constructs for scoliosis treatment, few have evaluated bracing when combined with chiropractic care. The present study analyzed the data of 18 patients from the initiation a chiropractic rehabilitation program combined with nighttime bracing. Patients were managed through the end of growth, and results were compared to baseline. Their collective results were compared to a similar group of previously published patients who participated in the same chiropractic rehabilitation program, but did not perform concurrent bracing treatment. Patients initiating the combined chiropractic and bracing treatment achieved a correction of 6° or more 81% of the time, while the remaining 19% remained within 5° of their baseline measurements. The average curve improvement was 9.4°. This was compared to a correction rate of 51.7%, a stabilization rate of 38.3%, and a progression rate of 10% in the group performing chiropractic rehabilitation only.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

PUBLICATION METRICS

PlumX Metrics provide insights into the ways people interact with individual pieces of research output (articles, conference proceedings, book chapters, and many more) in the online environment. Examples include, when research is mentioned in the news or is tweeted about. Collectively known as PlumX Metrics, these metrics are divided into five categories to help make sense of the huge amounts of data involved and to enable analysis by comparing like with like.

Dimensions

Altmetric

Published
2020-03-18
Info
Issue
Section
Brief Reports
Keywords:
Scoliosis, rehabilitation, bracing, adolescent, pediatric.
Statistics
  • Abstract views: 250

  • PDF: 78
  • HTML: 6
How to Cite
Morningstar, M., & Oslin, D. (2020). Chiropractic rehabilitation plus nighttime bracing for progressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a case-controlled series. Clinics and Practice, 9(4). https://doi.org/10.4081/cp.2019.1191